Popping for large marine predators
Lure Fishing for Bluefin Tuna & False Albacore
Season and Location
Depending on the season, there are trips from Chioggia, Rimini and Porto San Giorgio. As these fishing trips are very subject to weather conditions, they can only be planned at quite short notice.
- February-May: with the beginning of spring, the sea creatures are slowly reawakening. Smaller schools of tuna return to hunt. During this period, tuna are mainly found in the northern Adriatic Sea.
- May-July: the spawning season begins for bluefin tuna, they mostly swim on the seabed and can hardly be seen at the surface. This is the perfect period for False Albacores. Departures from Chioggia and Rimini.
- August-October: the great tuna migration from the Atlantic moves towards the Adriatic Sea at this time. Huge schools of tuna follow and hunt the baitfish and form massive feeding frenzies at the level of Porto San Giorgio.
- November-December: as temperatures drop, bluefin tuna migrate back towards the north of the Adriatic where the water temperature is slightly higher. During this time of year, smaller groups of tuna can be found, which swim closer to shore.
Recommended Fishing Gear
- Popping: Rods with casting between 40-130g (PE5-PE8) | High Quality Reels, size between 14000 and 18000 (Shimano Size) | Line PE5-PE8 | Leader 100 lbs-130lbs Nylon Shock Leader | Lures Soft Lures, Stickbaits & Popper
- Setup for False Albacore: Rods with casting between 20-80g (PE2-PE3) | Reel between 5000 and 6000 size (Shimano Size) | Line PE2-PE3 | Leader 40lbs-50lbs Fluorocarbon | Lures Soft Lures & Stickbaits
Book your next fishing trip
Copyright 2022 – Stefan Mohr VAT. 03113020212