Extreme North Atolls of Maldives
Popping & Jigging
The tropical land in the Indian Ocean includes 26 ring-shaped atolls consisting of more than 1,000 coral islands. A true paradise for tropical sport fishermen. Far from the luxury resorts, there are numerous unfished spots to discover in the far north of the Maldives. Popping is the main technique here. Besides GTs, numerous predatory fish can be caught. You will be surrounded by the beautiful scenery and the contrasting colours of the Maldivian islands. We organize hosted trips with small groups several times a year.
- Popping: This sporty and adrenaline-filled technique uses large surface lures stickbaits & poppers) with a casting weight between 100-140g. Watching a big GT pounce on a lure makes your heart stop. Pure adrenaline!
- Vertical Jigging: Can be both classic Speed Jigging- or Slow Pitch Rods. Water depth between 60m to 250m, depends on method.
- Flyfishing Flats: 8-9wt Rod | min. 200m Backing | 50lbs leader
- Flyfishing GT: 12-13wt Rod | min. 300 Backing | 130lbs leader
Many different species can be caught in the Maldives. The diversity of species is immense. However, the target fish remains the Giant Trevally. With its almost oval body, it owes its immense strength to the massive muscles around the shoulders and parts of the torso. Typical marine predators: Giant Trevally, Barracuda, Reef Sharks, Dogtooth Tuna, Yellowfin Tunas Grouper, Red Snappers and many more.
- The dry monsoon starts from October/November to March/April: here you can find the best weather with clear skies and not so rough seas. Ideal to reach all the fishing spots in the northern atolls
- The wet monsoon starts from April/May and goes until September. It can rain more often during this season and the sea is usually rough.
- Day 1: Departure from Origin
- Day 2: Arrival in Male, domestic flight to the island (45 minutes)
- Day 3-8: 6 full fishing days (up to 11 hours daily)
- Day 9: Domestic flight to Male, onward flight home
The lodge is only a few minutes walk from the small harbour and offers all the necessary comforts. Single and double rooms, equipped with air-conditioning, ensure a restful night’s sleep. Richly prepared dinners are served in the outdoor area of the lodge.
32 ft. with 2x 175 PS Suzuki Engines
Perfect for 4 anglers
- Popping: Rods with casting weight between 100-170g (PE6-PE8) | High Quality Reel, size between 14000 and 18000 (Shimano size) | Line PE6-PE8 | 200LBS Nylon Shock Leader
- Jigging: Rods PE2-PE5, casting weight 150-300g | Reel size 8000 to 20000 (Shimano size) | Line PE2-PE5 | 80-130LBS Fluorocarbon Leader
- Group 1
Arrival in Male: 03.02.2024
Fishing Days: 04.02.-09.02.2024 (6 Days)
Return Flight: 10.02.2024
GT1 Boat: fully booked
GT2 Boat: 3 spots available
- Group 2
Arrival in Male: 10.02.2024
Fishing Days: 11.02.- 16.02.2024 (6 Days)
Return Flight: 17.02.2024
GT1 Boat: fully booked
GT2 Boat: 2 spots available
Book your next fishing trip
Copyright 2022 – Stefan Mohr VAT. 03113020212